A summary of the trade-related news from the Chancellor’s Spring Budget 2017.
- “The UK can’t focus on past achievements. We must focus on keeping at the cutting edge of the global economy”
- “I want the UK to be the best place in the world to start and grow a business”
- As part of infrastructure investment announced at Autumn Statement –
- £300m to support “brightest and best” research talent
- £270m to keep the UK “at the forefront of disruptive technology”, such as biotech and driverless cars
- £16m for new 5G network tech hub
- £200m funding for local action to increase fibre network
- New T-level technical qualifications
- Ambition for parity of esteem between academic and technical qualifications
- Offer maintenance loans for higher-level technical qualifications
The Channel Group is an independent think tank established to champion free trade.