Breaking Down the Barriers Report
Breaking Down the Barriers – Why its time to remove global tariffs forever
Out of stock
Breaking Down the Barriers – Why its time to remove global tariffs forever.
The Channel Group’s first report on international trade tariffs.
- International trade has an enormously positive net impact on the world, which is enjoyed both by developed and developing nations.
- Diverse groups of countries with different economies all enjoy positive results when they enter into free trade agreements.
- Arguments for the imposition of tariffs, even in special circumstances, are flawed. Whilst emerging economies might see short-term security arising from protection, there is no long-term benefit to be drawn. There are better ways of ensuring the success of fledgling sectors.
- Tariffs and other protectionist instruments handicap technological progress, harm poor countries disproportionately and keep prices artificially high for consumers.
- Although tariffs, subsidies and quotas are being phased out across the world, and the number of trade inhibiting measures has fallen rapidly in the last 50 years, those that are left continue to impede the pace of progress.
02 May 2016